Punjab CM Announces Free Education For Girls From Nursery To PhD
The Chief Minister of Punjab Captain Amarinder Singh on Sunday announced that girls in government schools and colleges from Nursery to PhD would be provided free education, as reported by The New Indian Express.
While fulfilling a major poll promise, CM Singh has taken a significant step towards women empowerment.
In his speech on the motion of thanks to the Governor’s Address, CM Singh, in addition to the announcement of free textbooks, said that Nursery and LKG classes would be introduced in government schools from the next academic session.
Punjab has already seen an increase in reservation for women in Panchayati Raj Institutions and Urban Local Bodies from 33 per cent to 50 per cent.
Other poll promises to be fulfilled by CM Singh are:
- Free Wi-FI for 13,000 primary schools and all 48 government colleges has been announced.
- The CM has announced a pilot project to promote English in public schools from next month despite the financial crunch faced by the state.
- Several social welfare programmes and initiatives are declared in the last three months by the government, including a waiver of loans up to Rs 50,000 given in phases to Dalits and economically weak sections by the State Scheduled Caste Corporation and the State Backward Classes Corporation.
- A scheme for free houses for the homeless apart from the low-cost housing for the economically weak would also be launched in 2017-18, promised the CM.
- A new Lokpal bill, which would bring not only the ministers and all the bureaucrats under in its ambit but the Chief Minister as well, has also been announced.
- CM Singh has reiterated the government’s stand on the Sutlej-Yamuna Link (SYL), claiming that it would not be feasible for the state to share water with other states.
- The Chief Minister has mentioned that no cases of disruption of harmony will be tolerated by the government. He said only 13 cases have been registered under his government in the past three months and 12 of them have already been solved. He also categorically denied any move to reduce the annual pay of police personnel from 13 to 12 months.
- Punjab has achieved a great feat in the war against drugs, claimed CM Singh. He appealed to the opposition to join hands with the government to work together to alleviate drug trafficking.
The post Punjab CM Announces Free Education For Girls From Nursery To PhD appeared first on The Logical Indian.